The Inspiring of WoodCraft

Bevel-Edged Chisels

Bevel-Edged Chisels
When I say "chisel," the image that pops into most woodworkers' minds is a bevel-edged chisel like any of those shown in the top photo. It's ironic that these chisels have been marketed so long as bevel-edged that most people don't realize that these are actually firmer chisels. What's really odd is that many woodworkers think that firmer chisels are a completely different type of chisel. A bevel-edged chisel is just a standard firmer chisel where the edges have been beveled up toward the top of the blade.
Bevel-Edged Chisels
As I mentioned earlier, the advantage to beveling the edges is that this produces a chisel more adept at fitting into tight places, such as when removing the waste or trimming between dovetails (middle photo). This same slim profile allows a bevel-edged chisel to trim sliding dovetails (bottom photo) and other hard-toreach places. The downside to beveling the edges is that it removes metal that would normally stiffen the chisel. This makes bevel-edged chisels more suitable for delicate work. I have occasionally taken a mallet to mine, but if I've got a lot of wood to remove, I generally use a square-edged firmer chisel or a mortise chisel. Bevel-edged chisels can be purchased individually or in sets, in widths ranging from 1/8" up to 2". The most common set consists of six chisels: 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2, 3/4", and 1".
Bevel-Edged Chisels
HANDLE VARIATIONS
Hi I bought my first set of quality chisels from a mail-order catalog. I picked a set with blades made from Sheffield steel and what looked like comfortable handles. The second I unpacked one and held it in my hand, I knew that it didn't feel right. But being a novice, I figured the manufacturer knew what they were doing and it must be me. So I kept them—and used them for many (uncomfortable) years. What a bonehead!
It wasn't until I was visiting a woodworking buddy that I saw the light. My friend was cutting a set of dovetails in wide planks for a blanket chest he was building for his daughter. I commented on his well-worn chisels, and he handed one to me. I couldn't believe how good it felt in my hand. The balance was near perfect; the handle fit so well in my palm that it felt like an extension of my hand. So this is what a chisel should feel like, I thought.
I decided then and there to always trust my first impression of a tool. I should have sent that first set back and ordered something else. Better yet, I should have visited a woodworking store and tried each brand until I found the best fit. I realize this might sound excessive, but chisels are some of the most-often-used hand tools in any shop. They really should mold to your hand and feel great. Naturally, handle style (bottom drawing) and the material used are matters of personal preference.
I have four sets of chisels in my shop: a set of large, stout mortise chisels; a set of Marples plastic-handled (virtually unbreakable) firmer chisels for moderately heavy work; a set of Marples "blue chip" bevel-edged chisels for rough paring and shaping; and an exquisite set of bevel-edged Japanese chisels for all my fine work (fitting joints, cutting dovetails, etc.). I also have a few specialty chisels, but the bulk of the work is done with these four sets.
Bevel-Edged Chisels, handle variation
Thanks for reading Bevel-Edged Chisels. Please share...!
Back To Top