The Inspiring of WoodCraft

Speciality Files

Taper files
Taper files
Taper-cut files are triangular-shaped files that taper along their length. They come in various sizes that are defined by their cross section and taper, not by their coarseness. Common sizes are regular, slim, extra slim, and double-extra slim. These files are most often used for sharpening saws but can be pressed into service for other tasks as well.
Needle files
Needle files
Needle files (sometimes called jeweler's files) are thin, delicate files that are used for small fine detail work. They're usually sold in sets that include a variety of shapes, including round (often called a rat-tail file), square, rectangular, half-round, triangular, and flat. I use my needle files frequently to smooth tiny details, enlarge a hinge hole, and in the past, to sharpen spurs on some of my drill bits; this task has since been taken over by my diamond hones (see Rasp Planes).
Riflers
Riflers
Riflers are specialty files used primarily by carvers to smooth out small details in their work. They may be double-ended or come with a handle. Riflers are available individually or in sets and can be either files or rasps. I bought a set years ago when I first became interested in carving. Although I don't do a lot of carving anymore, I occasionally pull them out when I just can't get into a spot with any other tool. They really are quite handy.
Thanks for reading Speciality Files. Please share...!
Back To Top